Tuesday, September 14, 2010

25 Years Ago Today....

25 years ago today I was waiting and waiting and waiting. I had been given a due date of September 6th and here it was the 14th. 25 years ago, I was about as big as a house;-) Seriously. 25 years ago, I had a husband, but we didn't yet feel like a real family. We had been married such a short amount of time (6 months) and over half of that we had spent apart while Alan attended Navy boot camp and his first ET school. 25 years ago, I was writing letters almost every day telling Alan what was going on in the day. We got to talk on the phone some, but it was not like today where we have email and communication is so much easier. Phone calls were expensive and money was not something we had a lot of:-)

25 years ago, my whole life was about to change. I had been through the most terrible time of my young life. I had felt the stares of people in my church, heard the whispers, missed the eye contact, saw the disappointment in faces.

But now....now it was different. Now my baby was about to be born. The baby God had decided to bless me with in spite of who I was and what I had done. I was ready. I don't know how I was ready, but I was.

I made a decision to never make my baby pay for my mistakes. I took that to heart. I would welcome this baby and never look back.

When I think about that time in my life, the most amazing thing is the transition. When did my teenage heart become a mother's heart? I can not look back and see the day, but it is so obvious that it happened. I went from being a senior in high school concerned with soccer practice and homework and now 9 months later, I was ready for this new challenge. I didn't feel like I was missing out.

Thankfully, this day 25 years ago, I didn't realize I had another 9 days to wait!!!! She was worth it, though.

5 comments:

Martha said...

I was there 29 years ago. Two thousand miles away from home, and waiting. Waiting for a tiny bundle who would change my life.

I love you, Heather, and I think your baby is beautiful!

Heather said...

Oh Martha, I never thought about that. We were waiting at the same time of year exactly! Do Ashleigh and Jimmy have the exact same birthday? I think they do!

Your comment touched my heart, Martha. We have such a bond. I love you, too, my friend!

Martha said...

Jim's birthday is the day after Ashleigh's. Kind of like Ben and Davin. :)

Melanie L said...

God is so loving to bring something so beautiful out of a situation that was so stressful at the time. God is a God of redemption and forgiveness. You have been such an example to me of commitment in a marriage - for better or worse, richer or poorer, sickness or health - you made a covenant with Alan before God, and you keep it, no matter what. I pray my beloved J. will somehow think about your situation and have his heart changed.

Heather said...

Oh right, Martha. I knew that:-)