Friday, July 06, 2012

Interesting People



Davin and I were out and about today for most of the day.  As we are out and about and people watch me getting Davin in and out of the car and stores with "my system", it is so interesting to see how people react to me.  I freely admit that much of "my system" looks awkward to an outsider, but it works for me and I have it down pat. 

Among the various people we encountered today, one sweet older man came up to me and asked if there was anything he could do to help me.  I told him I so appreciated his offer, but that we were good.  We headed over to Wegman's for our last errand (maybe Friday afternoon is not the best time to run into Wegman's if you happen to be using a wheelchair and a cart) and as I went out the side door near our car, I opened the door with my backside and wheeled Davin outside, while holding the door open and then while watching Davin so he didn't roll away, I pulled my cart outside while still holding the door with my foot.  It was then that I noticed the young Wegman's employee who probably had "helping hands" embroidered on his shirt.  He quietly waited over to the side as to not be in my way;-)  Very nice of him, indeed.  (Okay, maybe that was a little sarcastic.)  Truth be told, I never mind looking like Wonder Woman juggling the chair and groceries and the door:-)  I know it is prideful and I am working on it, just being honest. 

5 comments:

Martha said...

I love you. :)

Martha said...

PS. I always felt like Wonder Woman when I took five preschoolers out to the store. I even liked the looks too.

Heather said...

I love you, too my friend Martha!

I just need to get out my Wonder Woman boots and then I would really be all set:-) Oh, and maybe the bracelets, too!

Melanie L said...

With living on my own again, I've gotten used to doing things myself, including lugging 40-pound boxes of cat litter inside. So I find it very hard to accept help. There is a little pride with me as well.

Betsy Brock said...

love that photo of Davin!!