Monday, September 29, 2008

Strolling Down Memory Lane...

Christine tagged all who read her blog and I have really enjoyed reading her trip down memory lane as well as Rachel's. So, here is mine. Let's see....

23 years ago, I was 18 years-old and a brand new Mommy. Alan had just left (maybe yesterday) to go back to Great Lakes, IL where he was stationed in the Navy. I would be moving out with him as soon as I went in for my six week check-up. I was totally nervous about moving away from my Mom. I was also totally in love with being a mom. I loved everything about it and knew right away that was my "thing". That was to be my career.

19 years ago, I was 22, and I had two little girls who were 2 and 4 years-old and we were living in Virginia Beach, VA. We were counting down the trash days until Daddy came home from the ship "far, far away" as Bethany would say. Alan was on a Med-cruise and had been gone since May. His return date was in November and we counted trash days because the trash came once a week. It seemed less depressing than counting each day. We missed him terribly and although it was one of the hardest things ever, I learned so much and grew so much. I remember trying to find at least one thing to do each day that was outside of the house so the days would not seem too long. We watched the "Daddy tape" that we made of Alan and the girls before he left just about every day. I sat down and wrote to Alan every day of the Med-cruise except for five. I LIVED for the mail man to come. There was no email back in the olden days:)

15 years ago, I was 26, I think, and learning to deal with the reality of my son being diagnosed with cerebral palsy. We had just finished doing a bunch of tests through the summer. What a devestating time for me. I felt so responsible for him being injured. I had the most amazing pediatrician who was such a cheerleader for me. I was dealing with therapists coming into my home and it seemed like I was being crushed by new things all the time. It wasn't until that December that I really let myself start to grieve.

13 years ago we had just moved to Ontario, NY and were looking for a new church. God was so amazing and so clear in his leading. It is a long story, but God lead us to an incredible group of people who would support me through many things. Of all the places we ever lived (and there have been many) that is our home. This was also the time of year when our oldest turned double digits. I spent my days taking care of my house and taking care of my boys while my girls were at school. The kids and I would "living room dance" lots of nights while we waited for Daddy to come home. It was a wonderful time in my life.

5 years ago, I had an unhappy daughter at Word of Life Bible Institute. Although she now realizes how much she learned there, it was a tough time in her life. Therefore, it was tough in my life. God also lead us to NJ to be near to our families. My Dad had just had a traumatic brain injury in March and I had been traveling back and forth alot. I did not know what kind of care he would continue to need, but I knew it would be hard if it all fell on my Mom and sister. I am so thankful for the opportunities that God has given me to be with my Dad (and the rest of our families, too).

Today I got a call that a certain husband had forgotten the cord to his laptop, so I ran that over to him. From there, I went to work and then had a dentist appointment. No cavities!!! I stopped at the pediatrician to pick up a form, stopped by the job site to have some checks signed, went to the bank and back to work for a few minutes to drop off another check. I got lunch, came home and waited for Davin. Davin and I made cookies and I threw in some laundry. I fed Davin, went to pick up Cheney from soccer practice and then took him to look for some cord thing for his cell phone. Dropped the boys off at home (dinner was in the oven) and headed over for a youth group dinner with the girls. I came home, did a bit more laundry, found Cheney's soccer shorts that he was sure I lost and did the ironing for tomorrow.


Christine said...

Thanks for sharing. Now I know a little more. :) Be thankful you had no cavities.. I had two filled today and it was no fun. :(

Michelle said...

WOW, what a busy day you had yesterday! You got so much done in such little time. Are you alittle tired today?

Miss Melanie said...

20 years ago - just starting college at Trenton State College, as a Political Science major, soon to switch to Communications. Would be saved the following February.

15 years ago - Working as a secretary at American Cyanamid in Princeton, NJ, and living in Warrington, PA, thus starting a pattern of hour+ commutes.

10 years ago - Working as a Team Administrator at GMAC Mortgage in Horsham, PA, and living across the street.

5 years ago - Administrative Assistant at GMAC Insitutional Advisors in Horsham, PA, and living in Shamong, NJ.

Now - growing in my faith by leaps and bounds, enjoying close friendships and fellowship with my Lord, working as an HR Assistant for CDI in Philadelphia, and living in Medford, NJ.

Kelli said...

great post! I dont think I could be without my husband for that long. Your brave!

Kim said...

Wow, that's the busy life you've had so far! I think about doing this on my blog but I think I need to be in the mood.

My mom's 3rd husband was in the Navy and they lived in VB also. I spent my Jr. High summers there (late 70's. early 80's). I mostly remember the heat and humidity and the OP shorts and van shoes. Neither of which I ever owned.

Martha said...

"I was also totally in love with being a mom. I loved everything about it and knew right away that was my "thing". That was to be my career." Me too.

I like how you went back to the highlight years (23, 19, 13,...) rather than the standard 20, 15, 10,... I've thought about doing a "Memory Lane" post but instead got caught up in the 27-29 years ago one.