Thursday, May 31, 2012

Being a Mom

I had big dreams.  I never even had time to take a lunch during my junior and senior years in high school.  I was too busy taking college prep classes and business classes so I would have skills to work my way through college.  It was important to me to have a good career so that I could be self-sufficient once I had a family.  I wasn't preparing myself for a divorce, but I wanted to make sure that I could take care of myself and my children.  I planned to major in business in college and then go on to law school.

Then, I found out I was pregnant with Ashleigh.  I graduated early and attended one semester at community college while the rest of my class finished up their senior year.

Everything. Changed.

Those dreams that I had seemed unimportant.  Even before she was born, I knew.  I knew what I was meant to do with my life.  I am not sure I can explain how I knew.  I just knew.

I can remember seeing a show where a bunch of teen moms were asked if they would do it all over again if given the chance for a do-over.  None of them would.  I would.  In a heartbeat.  I absolutely could not change having that girl in my life. 





4 comments:

Martha said...

I wouldn't trade my boy in for the world. Not a chance!

I'm guessing the girls they asked were likely under some pressure to answer in a certain way. I don't know any really good moms who would give up their children to gain a career instead.

Heather said...

It was a show with Dr. Brazleton, maybe? I think they were discussing how difficult it had been at such a young age.

Martha said...

Did you ever watch "The Ultimate Gift"? Some critics viewed it as an antiabortion film just because the single mother of a little girl said, "She's the best decision I ever made."

Anonymous said...

I sure am glad you did it! Life without ash would be terrible! Not to mention you are the best mom we could ever ask for! Love you!

-Bethany